- The wood is it more important to define for your Instrument because it is what you will not be able to replace and is the great extension of the same. His replacement means buy one guitar new, for this the most important for us. With it, you get the Sustain and the “color” or timbre of the instrument. Among the most used for the genre we find:
- Mahogany (Mahogany): High-density wood, heavy, high resonant quality.
- Maple (Maple): Hard and heavy wood, active in the highs, the most common in the masts.
- Alder (Alder): Soft and light wood, high resonance, the most used in Fender Teles and Strat bodies.
- Basswood (Linden): Light and Soft, strong crystal sound, pleasant tone. Very used by Ibanez and Jackson.
As you can see, the more substantial or harsh features given by its high density, offer greater sustain and for much higher quality sound. We already know the concept of top guitarists, affirming that we do not get anything better in music than with a heavy guitar And precisely it refers to the benefits of high sustain and body of the timber, enlarged with some good pickups and hardware.
- Let’s talk about the Bridges. In spite of that in many references they are using the bridges floating or Floyd Rose®, the bridges ideal for this genre are those that transfer the most significant amount of vibration of the strings to the body of the guitar, and this what you get with bridges fixed bolted like the Tune-o-Matic( similar to those used by Gibson). Many believe that the bridge float is perfect for the Heavy, but it not is necessarily, therefore is subject to oscillations by their instability, which will get even with putting the hand on him, by so it should be used carefully, and its purpose is to be used to execute the vibrato, but that it is can get an armor bar in bridge moving less unstable.
- Regarding the tablets or Pickups, The most searched and ideal itself considered to be the humbucker or double coil, used necessarily in its position Bridge or bridge, to increase the gain and body in riffs or alone and the lines rhythmic. The brands that are appreciated more commonly in most of the guitars used in this genre, as they are the EMG , DiMarzio ® or Seymour Duncan® and the own developed by companies-manufacturers dedicated to their sound in all its components manufactured inside of its factories. With a single humbucker on the bridge you can already get sounds themselves for the Heavy, but if you want to go further than the ideal is to use double humbucker.